The wrestling angel gifted Jacob with a limp as a permanent reminder of his encounter with God. Jacob's life-long policy was to run. His final glory was that he learned to lean (Hebrews 11:21). A wound is a good thing if it is accepted as a stewardship from God, appropriated as a channel of God's strength and consecrated to God's purpose. Where dependence is the objective weakness is the advantage.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Another Anniversary

November 23rd marks the anniversary of Blaise Pascal’s conversion in 1654.
Though Pascal died short of his 40th birthday his achievement, like his intellect, was towering.
He counted all as nothing in comparison to knowing Christ.
Voltaire, that great cynic of the Enlightenment, loathed Pascal’s theology but declared that Pascal was the greatest man ever to have written in French. He attributed Pascal’s conversion to trauma from a carriage accident which triggered a breakdown leading to religious mania. It is notable that for all his mocking Voltaire cried out to Jesus for mercy on his deathbed. He’d made a famous prediction that 100 years after his death the Bible would be found only in museums.Voltaire’s house is now owned by the Swiss Bible Society. Sweet irony that.
Pascal wrote an account of his conversion and sewed the parchment into his jacket. When he obtained new clothes he would repeat the process. It was found after his death. Evidently he kept it with him to the end of his life .In that testimony one paragraph is headed by the simple word: FIRE
Os Guiness declared that Pascal became a man consumed by divine fire.
In that same record he wrote: “The world forgotten; everything except God…Complete and sweet renunciation.”
He told no one about his conversion. However he did overwhelm everyone with the evidence.
His sister Jacqueline later wrote, “Little by little he changed, so that soon I no longer knew him.”
A Pascal is given to the Church once every century or so.
Let us thank God for his memory.
Let us imitate his fervor.
Let us pray for his successors.

3 comments:

Lynn Landes Krueger said...

Hi Ronnie, Wow, YOU have a blog? I don't even want to know how to start one, and I would have nothing to post anyway. I keep up with you and your family through my mom (Jane Berry) she forwards me things. You are very special to our family. Saw the picture of your daughter and her first grade class recently. It reminds me of what my daugther, Chandler, may want to do some day. I was reading one of your entries, did C.S. Lewis and Kennedy really die on the same day. Thanks to you I have visited my first blog ever, I didn't want your blog to go with no responses until next Thanksgiving. ~lynn

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Blog World, Ronnie! I suspect yours will become one of my "must reads" each day. Without giving your identity away, I asked Louis who would know that today is the 354th anniversary of Pascal's conversion. Without skipping a beat...he said Ronnie Stevens!!

Unknown said...

HI Ronnie,

Thanks for letting me know about your blog. Blaise Pascal is one of my heroes, being a mathematician and a theologian. I'd like to emulate him in both areas but won't even come close. On our honeymoon Libby and I went into a used bookstore and I found a copy of Pensees. While that wasn't the highlight of our honeymoon :) it was a nice moment.