The wrestling angel gifted Jacob with a limp as a permanent reminder of his encounter with God. Jacob's life-long policy was to run. His final glory was that he learned to lean (Hebrews 11:21). A wound is a good thing if it is accepted as a stewardship from God, appropriated as a channel of God's strength and consecrated to God's purpose. Where dependence is the objective weakness is the advantage.

Monday, March 16, 2009

The Great Thing and The Greater


Garrison Keillor signs off The Writer’s Almanac by saying : “Be well, do good work, and stay in touch.” I’ve not been well. I’ve done hardly any work. And I’ve not been in touch. We were in the US for Missions Conferences Feb. 10- March 5. When I boarded the plane to return I was ill. I am still ill, and only now ready to write something.
Our itinerary on the ground didn’t go as planned. Neither Virginia nor Texas was on the schedule but I flew to Dallas and Jane joined me in the drive to Virginia. The visits were necessary because someone died. The visits were unscheduled because the deaths were unforeseen.
Rachel was a friend who entered eternity at age twenty-four. She was tall, lovely, athletic and a believer. While studying in Vienna she visited us in Budapest . Deaths like hers make people ask “Why?” while others caution: “Don’t ask why.” I don’t ask the question. Neither do I caution. Neither can I answer the question though I sometimes try. Christians don’t often know “why”; they always know “Who.” Rachel’s grandmother is named Ruth. I once told Rachel her grandmother was the greatest Christian I’d ever known. I believed that because of Ruth’s stewardship of suffering. I imagine that earlier suffering is slight compared to losing Rachel. We drove to Virginia to hug Ruth’s neck and tell her how much we love her. We found her clinging to the God of Israel, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Her faith is deeper than her powers of articulation, deeper than death. Such is our God; such are His servants.
A few days after Rachel went home my Professor in Dallas died. He too visited us in Budapest. Harold Hoehner was a Cambridge PhD who published the definitive work on Ephesians in his generation. No seventy-four year old needs a great reason to die. But there was no warning. He came in from a run. Exhale on earth, inhale in heaven as one of his eulogists said. Three of my Professor’s four children have been missionaries to Russia and the fourth walks with God. I envy him that more than the Cambridge doctorate (though his college was King’s!) or the Ephesians commentary.
While he lay dying Henry James said “So the great thing comes.” They were reputed to have been his last words. Death is a great thing: inevitable, inexorable, and unrelenting. But there is a greater thing. That’s why we become missionaries, to tell the world about that greater thing. For those who die without Gospel Hope death is a permanent tragedy. The Cross has rendered death a temporary inconvenience. Savage but temporary.
I like to think my friends Harold Hoehner and Rachel Menkel have met by now in a land that is fairer than day.
Met among the shining ones.
Met before the Throne.
I know that I too will meet them there one day.
I guarantee you I will.

2 comments:

TerryB said...

Beautiful truths I needed to be reminded of as Pat's mother has been told "the great thing" will come for her in 3-6 months. I'm sorry you've been ill, been grieving. It's wonderful, though, to see Katie and hers at church.

N.A. Winter said...

Pastor Ronnie - that was simply beautiful. We lost a dear friend who was 25 a few weeks ago, and as with you, could not answer the question why. But also, as with you, took great comfort in the knowledge that we would see her again.

Be well, dear sir. Our love to you and Jane.