The wrestling angel gifted Jacob with a limp as a permanent reminder of his encounter with God. Jacob's life-long policy was to run. His final glory was that he learned to lean (Hebrews 11:21). A wound is a good thing if it is accepted as a stewardship from God, appropriated as a channel of God's strength and consecrated to God's purpose. Where dependence is the objective weakness is the advantage.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Prayers or Lies?

Many years ago I heard an evangelical scholar (he held a Cambridge PhD) declare that nearly all Christians are liars. He supported this provocative thesis by citing how quickly Christians assure others of prayer support without following through. He made no distinction between breaking a promise and telling a lie.
In Memphis last month I visited a saint in her 10th decade. She was hindered by infirmity but buoyant with praise. After I asked after her health she began to give God the credit for her physical survival and relative well being. The human credit she ascribed to my prayers.
Had I ever told her I would pray?
Quite likely.
Had I prayed for her?
I fear me not.
Is it dishonest to sustain a false impression by silence?
Can anyone be sure the answer is "no"?
I felt convicted but I said not a word.
Maybe we should leave off promising to pray unless we record the commitment and enroll an accountability partner immediately.
Maybe we should deflect the request by responding, "Will you pray for my prayer life?"
One thing needful is to pray WITH them immediately before leaving the impression that we will ever pray FOR them
I prayed for her just now.
I want to do better.
I could scarcely do worse.

4 comments:

The Fish Family said...

Ronnie, Thanks so much for this great reminder. About 11 years ago, Tim and I were attending a wedding rehearsal where Dr. Adrian Rogers was performing the ceremony. A young girl across from us was expecting her first child and had some complications so she asked Dr. Rogers to pray for her. Right in the middle of our dinner, he grabbed her hand, bowed immediately and in his booming yet gentle voice, he prayed right then and there. It left such an impression on me of how many times I promise to pray but walk away and forget. I'd do better to write it immediately on my hand if my mother wouldn't scold me still about that bad habit. :) Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Robertson McQuiken told me he had 100's of former students write him and ask him to pray for them on the mission field or something like that. He said that when he got the letter or email he would immediately pray for them and usually never thought about that again. I thought that was a bit crass and unfeeling until I realized that he always prayed for someone who asked for prayer and I didn't

butch said...

Sorry to have missed you in Memphis. Did catch your sermon on the Ethopian eunic at 2nd. Thanks so much for all you do.

Tom Dorrity said...

I have actually prayed for you off and on since Mom died on December 5,2010. There's a missionary in Budapest that our church here in Huntsville,Al supports who has insisted that no solid witness for Christ existed there before his arrival. I've prayed that God would put him in touch with you.